Friday, January 05, 2007


Getting Apologies from ICICI Bank


All of us have heard of stories of ICICI Bank goofing up and making a mess of things either in loans, account statements etc. etc.

Last month it was my turn. One of my relatives wanted some money urgently and they sought my help. I decided to use the web request at ICICI Bank website for creation of draft. I was duly informed through a mail that it will be delivered at my home in 5 working days. The system showed the AWB number and the courier agency through which it was sent. First goof up was by the courier guys who did not deliver in one week. We followed up with them and they informed that address mentioned by ICICI is not clear hence it was not delivered and they promised to deliver the same day. The address mentioned was correct.

First shock came when on checking the draft we noticed that instead of being payable in City A it was for City B. As the concerned folks were in urgent need, decided to send across the draft to them hoping that ICICI being well networked should be able to honor it.

Second was, when the draft on being presented in city A, the bank informed that it needs to be sent to city B and it may take around 15 -20 days for it to get cleared.Meanwhile,as I was out of the country, I decided to raise a complaint on the ICICI website, threatening them with closure of account and raising the issue with bank's ombudsman.As usual, they sent an automated mailer saying they would get back in 48 hrs. After a day, I received another mail stating they did try to reach my cell at a particular time , but it was unreachable and they requested to send the draft back to them for correction. On informing that I was out of India, they rang up my residence and asked for the draft and my contact number abroad.

Couple of days passed by , I again got a mail from one of their folks stating that they are sorry and they are following up with concerned department. Meanwhile, my folks informed me that they have received the money in their account.

However today morning, I received a call from Hyderabad .One of the ICICI managers was on the other end apologising profusely for the mistake and explaining how it could have been resolved earlier and promised that such mistake would not happen in future. He also informed, that he had tried to reach me earlier on my cell phone but could not. In the end, he again was sorry and wished in the new year they will continue to give better service.

In future if anyone faces similar problem, my advice is to use the complaint link on ICICI website and use some strong words in the complaint.

1 comment:

Mukund Iyer R. said...

ICICI sucks big time. They've got too many customers their banks canhancdle. Their banks look worse than the railway station on all days. Worst, the customer service guy at the bank also rings up the dreaded "Call Center". There is really really no way you can get across the Call Center.